Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/customer/www/witley.surrey.sch.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/oshin/ReduxFramework/ReduxCore/inc/class.redux_filesystem.php on line 29
FAQ – Witley Church of England Infant School

Frequently Asked Questions


One of the aims of our new website was to answer the most frequently asked questions and provide the latest information for existing and prospective parents. We hope you will find the information you need either below or through navigating the pages of the site.

As always, please do contact the Administration Team in the school office if you need any further assistance.



How will I know if the school is closed in bad weather or an emergency?

Check the website, Eagle Radio news and your class communication group for the latest news and updates. 

Refer to your class Emergency Phone Tree: you should receive a phone call or message from the person above you on the tree and we ask that you communicate this message to the next person down the line. 

Should the decision be made to close during the course of the school day then a ParentMail message will be sent out to all families.

What should I do if I am going to be late to collect my child?

Please telephone the school office on 01428 682420 to inform us as soon as possible if you are going to be late or if you have arranged for someone else to collect your child.

What do I do if I want to speak to my child’s teacher?

Please e-mail the office  or call us on 01428 682420 so that a suitable appointment time can be made with the teacher.

What do I do if I want to speak to the headteacher?

Please e-mail the office  or call us on 01428 682420 so that a suitable appointment time can be made with her.


What do I need to do if my child needs time off for a medical appointment (or ballet exam etc?)

Complete a request form for part/day absences and drop it into the school office.

This can be printed off, completed, and dropped into the school office.
Paper copies of this form can also be found with all forms in the corridor past the school office.

What do I need to do if I want to take my child out of school for reasons other than medical purposes (e.g. for a holiday or to visit family)?

Complete an application for leave of absence for exceptional circumstances form and drop it into the school office.

What is the school’s policy on taking children out of school for holidays and trips?

Parents/carers are expected to book their family holidays during school holiday dates which are published a year in advance. The Headteacher may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances; examples quoted by the Department for Education (DFE) are: service personnel and family crisis.

How do I report if my child is poorly and won’t be in school?

Please leave a message on our absence line via the main school office telephone number 01428 682420 (option 1) detailing;

  • your child’s name and class
  • reason for absence
  • your name and contact number.

How long should my child remain off school following vomiting/diarrhoea?

Our policy is that children must stay at home and should not attend school for 48 hours after their last episode of sickness or diarrhoea. This is in line with NHS guidelines in order to prevent this particularly virulent illness from spreading.

How do I know if my child has a cold or COVID?

Please click here for a clear guide on the symptoms


What do I need to do if my child needs to take medication whilst at school?

In the first instance please consider whether the medication can actually be given at home, outside of school hours. If it is a course of antibiotics that requires administering 3 x a day, we usually suggest that you give this to your child just before school, immediately after school and at bedtime. This should allow the doses to be evenly spaced.

If medication must be given during school hours we ask that you complete a permission for school staff to administer medication form and bring this into the office along with the medicine which should be in a zip plastic bag labelled with your child’s name. Please ensure all spoons/syringes/administering devices are with the medication. Medication and empty medicine containers should be collected from the office once we are no longer required to give it to your child or the course has finished.

Paper copies of this form can also be found with all forms in the corridor past the school office.


When does my child do PE?

Every child takes part in PE on a weekly basis as part of the curriculum. Your class teacher will let you know which day this will fall at the beginning of term.

What does my child need to wear for PE?

Please go to our PE kit list to see what your child must wear. 

If you haven’t found the answer to your enquiry above, please do contact the School Office.

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from Youtube
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google